2.26.2011

Off to Istanbul!

After the final jury for Project 2 the other day it finally hit me that our time in Rome is half over.   I could say various things that you would expect me to say...the usual things travellers in foreign countries say.  "It's gone by so fast...I feel like I could be here for years and still never see and understand all this city has to offer..."  I'll spare you this extended version and get down to what's happening today, how I feel at this moment.

Two days ago after Italian class we ventured out on our own to San Giovanni in Laterano, the Scala Sancta (Holy Stairs), and Santa Croce in Gerausalemme.  It was quite a religious afternoon.  San Giovanni was an incredible space with large scale sculptures of the apostles towering over a classically adorned nave, the most recent of the designers being  Francesco Borromini in 1655.  It was quite an impressive space in the mid-afternoon hours when a large beam of light streams in from the western windows.  We took the opportunity for a few action shots.
I'll spare you the rest of the History lesson and just leave a few links.
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-san-giovanni-laterano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Croce_in_Gerusalemme

Now, as I stand over my computer I'm realizing the bus is about to leave and I should probably be going...
Istanbul is waiting.
Won't be posting for the next week, but looking forward to what I will share when I get back.

Till next time,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment